When it comes to weight loss, there is so much conflicting information out there, that it often becomes difficult to distinguish fact from faction. Here are four common weight loss myths that you may have believed to be facts:
When it comes to losing weight, carbs are the enemy.

Just about every fad diet on the internet preaches this, but it is not necessarily the truth. In fact, carbs can actually be your best friend if you are attempting to lose weight, especially if you are working out regularly. Carbs are not only a great source of energy during your workout, but they are also a great way to recuperate your body after your workout. While it is true that too many carbs can negatively impact weight loss efforts, too much of anything can actually do that. The key to consuming carbs is moderation and quality. Instead of white bread, choose weight. Instead of eating your carbs at night, eat them in the morning so you are able to burn them off throughout the day.

Exercise is the key to weight loss.

While a good exercise regimen definitely plays a significant role in losing weight, exercise only makes up 20% of the equation. The other 80% is a good diet.

All alcohol should be avoided.

Just about any drink that is not water is sure to rack up empty calories, including alcohol. But, while the calorie count for a glass of wine or a can of beer might be daunting, not all alcohol is the same. In fact, studies have shown that tequila can actually help weight loss, thanks to its agave-plant composition. Of course, it is important to make sure you are consuming everything in moderation. Other alcohol is even okay to consume once a week without hindering weight loss efforts.

Diets are bad.

All diets are not bad. Some diets work and some don’t, just like some are helpful and others are harmful. But overall, diets are not bad. They can actually be quite helpful. When our bodies become conditioned to our way of eating, it becomes harder for us to lose weight. In these cases, it can benefit us to start a short-term diet to mix things up a bit. Thus, while it is always better to change your lifestyle than to go on a diet, diets are perfectly fine under the right circumstances.